The Grand Rapids Downtown Development Authority (DDA) agreed on Wednesday to "allocate $100,000 toward a statue of civil rights pioneer Rosa Parks in the park bearing her name."
A few key points about the DDA (From DDA Web Site):
1. The mission of the DDA: "to promote economic growth and revitalization and encourage historic preservation within the central business district. The DDA seeks to reverse historical trends that have led to loss of population, jobs, businesses, and the quality of life within the downtown area.
2. DDA Vision Statement: The VISION of the DDA is to be recognized as the organization providing key leadership in the development of a market driven, dynamic downtown. This market driven dynamic downtown will enjoy competitive fully leased offices, a wide range of housing options, and a unique retail offering s including a range of dining and entertainment.
3. DDA Funding: "Using incremental property taxes collected from downtown properties, the DDA has financed many public improvements which have led to unprecedented private investment"
There is no doubt in my mind the DDA does some amazing things for Grand Rapids and plays an instrumental role in the success and beauty of our downtown area despite the economic downturn seen elsewhere in our state. Residents of Grand Rapids have a beautiful, safe, and energetic downtown area that offers something for nearly everyone. City planners have done a fantastic job of incorporating the city's history, the natural elements of the Grand River, and a booming urban environment into a package for all to enjoy.
But in my mind this $100,000 expenditure is an irresponsible slap in the face to the people of this city who work so hard to support local business and promote social change. When I park downtown I don't mind paying a parking fee if I know the money is going to good use. When I eat at a local downtown restaurant I feel good that I helped support a local restaurant created by people right here from West Michigan instead of some national chain.
But it ticks me off when I see how hard local businesses and restaurants work to pay their rent and keep their doors open. Especially when a portion of these local profits are being taken by the DDA only to have them pissed away on a project of this nature that will most likely provide no return on investment.
Sure statues and artwork are part of the fabric of every community that makes one city stand out among the others. And of course I'm not trying to say that Ms. Parks doesn't deserve to have her statue here in Grand Rapids nor am I denying that she played a tremendous role in the history of the country. But the fact that we have individuals, businesses and, nonprofit organizations right here in our city that are struggling to keep the doors open makes me wonder if there isn't a better use of these funds that would directly benefit more people.
I'm not asking for the DDA to start giving money to businesses, and I know they don't fund individuals or nonprofits, but shouldn't this money be spent on a project that will draw more people into the downtown area or assist with generating revenue for local businesses. I'd rather see $100,000 invested into one of the local festivals or celebrations that actually creates a buzz and draws huge numbers of people and their $ into the downtown area. At least then the money would be spent bringing those folks in. I'm not sure a statue is going to have the same impact on brining people to our city.
"The project is expected to cost $350,000, including $150,000 for the statue, $50,000 for a maintenance fund, $70,000 for engineering and utility adjustments for the statue, $35,000 for educational programming, $10,000 for the dedication ceremony and $35,000 for administrative, promotional, travel and marketing costs."
All of these numbers seem to be on the high end as far as I'm concerned and $10 grand for the dedication ceremony seems ridiculously expensive. I'm all for art work and new things to make Grand Rapids a nice place to live but I'm not for using taxpayer and local business revenue to fund projects that don't create a huge return. If local citizens want to get together and build this statue with private funds I would be 100% behind the cause and wouldn't mind throwing a little cash towards the project myself. But please don't use public funds for this with our economy hitting rock bottom.
I think it's time all of our leaders wake up and be more responsible with the way they handle our money. After all if we weren't the ones shopping and supporting the downtown district the DDA wouldn't have any money to fund anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment