Friday, November 14, 2008

Heading North

In just a few hours I'll be making a quick trip up to Traverse City. I haven't been up there in a long time and I'm itching to get up there again. I don't know what it is but if I'm away from TC for more than three weeks I go crazy. I definitely need to find a job up there. 

Today I'm heading up for a meeting at the ski hill. Someone I got suckered into re-writing the Chair Lift Evacuation Policy for Mt. Holiday Ski area. I've been doing some reading and some research of other ski areas around the state and have a pretty good handle on how we can improve our evacuation policies and procedures. At an older area with aging lifts it's important that we are up to-date on our policies incase we ever had to do a complete real life chair evacuation. All in all it actually has been interesting learning about the proper techniques and procedures for this difficult and potentially very dangerous task. 

At my meeting today I will be meeting with the new Executive Director at Mt. Holiday, a job I would love to have, the head of the maintenance department, and the Patrol Director. I'm excited to see what we can come up with and I hope they are impressed by my work ethic on this. After working in the nonprofit industry for three years I think I've found my calling. I would really love the opportunity to combine two things I love, skiing and nonprofit work.

Mt. Holiday is to my understanding one of only four nonprofit ski areas in the country. This might sound strange to have a ski area as a nonprofit but Mt. Holiday was established as a place that will provide year round recreational activities for residents of northern michigan. They also have many great scholarship programs available to teach at risk kids how to ski and snowboard. To me it is way more than just a ski area because of all the memories and friends I have made there over the years. Someday they will get enough money and hire me as their communications director. :) I hope anyways!  

Learn more about Mt. Holiday by visiting their web site. (Another project I'd like to help them update)  If you're ever in Traverse City on the weekends this winter stop into the Patrol Room and say hi.

No comments: