Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Shot(s) Heard Around Michigan


November 15

To many this date doesn't mean anything but to thousands of hunters in Michigan this date marks the beginning of two weeks of drinking, eating, sleeping in the woods, and shooting deer. That's right November 15 is the opening day of Firearm Deer Season. 

This was clearly obvious as I left work at 12:00 Friday afternoon to drive to a meeting in Traverse City. Every other truck that passed me on the highway doing 90 mph had a "Buckmasters" sticker happily stuck in the back window. Hurrying passengers dawned their camouflage clothing accented with the required blaze orange. The "orange army" as it's often called was out in full force on their way to take over parts of northern michigan in search of their trophy deer. 

I'm not anti hunting, in fact I would love to go try it sometime if someone would take me out and teach me the ropes. But it is pretty funny how into this some people get. Many rural school districts even cancel classes on opening day because so few kids would show up anyways. Some hunters plan for this two weeks all year long and of course they all live by the slogan, "If it's brown, it's down." 

I can't bash hunters too much though because I get really excited about opening day too. Not opening day of firearm dear season but opening day of ski season. We're getting closer and closer now. Winter temps are forecasted through the week and parts of Allegan county are getting the first measurable snow fall of the season. Last night I put the ski and snowboard rack on my car and can say I'm fully ready to begin my "winter challenge" of skiing everyday and hopefully logging at least 200 miles on my cross country skis. All I need now is more snow.

This will be another busy week with Senior Ski Patrol class on Monday, Erika's Outdoor Emergency Care test on Thursday, and celebrating our 1-year anniversary together. :) More on that later in the week. 

1 comment:

Jen said...

Your big sister doesn't want it to snow this year. Think I have a chance of it not happening? Maybe I should move to Arizona, I think it is already to damn cold