Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Another Dr. Appointment

This morning I went to my doctor to get a small bump checked out on my arm. Seems like in the last year I've been to the doctor more times than I have in the last 10 years. Anyways, I've had a small red bump on my arm for sometime now and figured with so many people suddenly finding out they have some type of skin cancer I thought maybe I should get it checked out. 

I didn't really know what to expect going into it. I figured it was just some type of cyst and according to my mom they can remove those pretty easily. I didn't think the doctor would to much today. He came in and took a look at my arm and asked a few questions and told me he doesn't think it looks cancerous and wasn't too concerned. But he did suggest that it be removed. After explaining my options we both came to the conclusion that it would be best if we removed the cyst and sent it in for a biopsy to be sure it was indeed not cancerous. 

A quick shot of local anesthetic on my arm, a small incision, and a nifty gadget that popped the little mass of tissue right out of my arm. Other than the slight poke and the burning sensation caused by injecting the anesthetic, the procedure was nearly pain free. Two little stitches and a sterile gauze pad later and I was out the door on my way to work. 

I'll go back in again next Tuesday morning to have the stitches removed and to get the results back telling me what exactly it was. It's a little scary not knowing but I'm glad I finally went in and got it checked out. Too many people wait too long with these things and then get bad news too late. For now I'm just waiting to see what the results are and hoping that I'm done going to the doctor for awhile. Getting old is no fun.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Did Mom know you were going to the Dr?
She didn't say anything about it that's why I wondered.
Well like you said...better safe than sorry and it's probably a good thing you had it checked and taken out.

Talk to you soon