Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Good News...Bad News

It's amazing how fast a week goes by. So far I'm starting off 2009 with a grade of "Suck" when it comes to my new years resolutions. I'll try to blog more...I promise. 

The good news is that on Tuesday I had my follow up doctors appointment and got good news. The bump on my arm was a non-cancerous growth. In fact I had what's called a dermatofibroma. Apparently it is basically scar tissue that has resulted from a bug bite, cut, or some sort of trauma. The appointment lasted all of 10 minutes. He took out my stitches, told me the good news and then we talked about skiing for a little longer. I have to say I was relieved after hearing this news. While I figured it wasn't cancer even having that in the back of my mind was a bit scary. 

The bad news is that it is becoming more and more difficult to live and work in MI and be happy about your life. All this talk about a recession is causing serious depression. It seems like no one around here is happy or positive anymore and for good reason. Just this week I found out another friend lost her job, that makes three people I know that have lost their jobs in the last few weeks. It's starting to hit too close to home now. I don't know what the future looks like for me and my job but I know we continue to cut costs and cut back on anything and everything. Working for a nonprofit in this economy is tough but we've been fortunate to pull through hard times before...let's hope that holds true again. 

The media doesn't help anything either. Besides sharing the stories about the murders, the drug busts, and the gang fights, now they continue to ram bad economic news down our throats and try their best to predict the future doom and gloom that we are all about to face. I'm sick of it. Even being the news junkie I am I can't take it anymore. I'm starting to watch less and less of the news these days in a last ditch attempt to stay happy. Which leads me to one happy story. 


This is a new web site that a friend of mine is starting and his main focus is to share the positive and happy stories that are happening all around Michigan that don't get reported on the nightly news. He is an amazingly talented and Emmy award winning photojournalist and I hope he is able to launch this site and make amazing things out of it. He's still working on building the actual site and getting more stories on there so be patient. 

If you're looking for some happy news, book mark his page and check back frequently as he gets up and running. If you like what you see, please share it will all your friends as that's the only way we can help him make a living out of it. 




No comments: