Friday, December 5, 2008

Over the river and through the woods...

Cross country skiing I go. Tonight I left work early and took a trip up to Aman park just down the road from my house. I've been going up to Aman park for a few years now. It's a great chunk of property that is open to the public with lots of trails and a great little creek running through the valley. There are some steep bluffs and a lot of wildlife running around. (Didn't see any tonight though)

The snow was okay today. The ground is still not 100% frozen so the snow we have received lately is wet near the ground. When the base is wet your skis get ice build up on the bottom and you can't glide as well. All in all though to be cross country skiing on December 5th is pretty amazing.

 

Here you can see how much snow was in the parking lot.


This table is pretty deep in the woods but sits in an open area. As you can see it has a lot of nice powder on it. 



This is the last bridge you go over before having to travel back up the steep hill. It's a heck of a workout just getting to the top. 

In total I did about 2.5 miles tonight. Not too bad for the first night out of the season. I'm planning on being out on the trail again tomorrow morning by 7:30 to get another 2-3 miles in before working the rest of the day. As mentioned in "Winter Challenge" I hope to log a minimum of 200 miles on my cross country skis this winter. I plan to have ski's on my feet every day possible depending on the weather conditions. Looking at the forecast for the next week there will be several days of great skiing ahead. 


No comments: