December has always been a month I look forward to because it seems like no matter what goes on over the year, by the time December gets here we are all ready for a new year to start. I also figured that by starting 2009 in December I might actually have a shot at setting and achieving some new year's resolutions.
So while you're all still waiting and thinking about your resolutions, here is what I'm going to work on starting now:
1. Blog more frequently: I started this blog after being inspired by my sister's blog and all that she's been through. While I haven't posted that much I think it's important to write down what is on your mind, even if no one reads it.
2. Keep in better contact with friends: We're all busy, but that's no excuse not to contact the people that mean the most in your life. We shouldn't take friendships for granted.
3. Anger Management: Not the classes or reading stupid self-help books but trying to take a few deep breaths before I get upset to think things through clearly. No one likes Mr. Crabby pants.
4. No complaining about work: #4 and #3 go together in many ways. No more whining about work. I'm lucky enough to live in MI and have a job and one that I enjoy, for the most part. Bad days are bound to happen, gotta suck it up and get past them. There is no point in taking it out on those around you.
5. Take a Multivitamin: Sounds dumb I know but a big thing I want to do this year is take better care of my body. If I've learned anything this year it's that we have to take care of ourselves. Getting in the habit of taking a daily multivitamin is just one small thing I can do to take care of me.
6. Lose 40 pounds. Along with #5 I really could stand to lose 40 lbs. to get back towards my "ideal body weight." I'm hoping to lose the first 20 this winter through cross country skiing and eating healthy. Then In April I'd like to start running again and lose the other 20lbs. by fall.
7. Run a marathon: I've been involved with the Grand Rapids Marathon planning committee for three years now. These guys are nuts. They run marathons like it's the same thing as going to the bathroom. Each year I get inspired to do this huge accomplishment but I've never had the gumption to do more than a half marathon, even that was a stretch. Here's to 2009 being the year for 26.2 miles.
8. Create my "Bucket List": Inspired by my friend Marathon Don I want this year to be the year I sit down and list out the things I want to do before I kick the bucket. There is a big world out there with lots to do; why not start planning now?
9. Pass my Senior National Ski Patrol Test: This is something I've already started working on but is going to take more time and practice. This is the next level in the Ski Patrol system and is something that will greatly enhance my skills as an emergency first responder. Wish me luck!
10. Enjoy free time: With laptops, internet, and cell phones we take work with us too many places. Here's to 2009 being the year that I step back and realize the importance of turning off the computer and spending a little extra time with friends, family and loved ones.
There you go. My top 10 list. They sound pretty simple now but I'm sure they won't be that easy to just check off. Enjoy the last few days of 2008, I'm starting fresh in '09.
2009 starts now!
No comments:
Post a Comment